We love using good shampoo products on our pet maltese. Over the years we have tried and tested many different brands of ‘super chain’ and ‘specialized’ and ‘show dog’ shampoos.
Today we will discuss shampoo products as they compare to our GO TO GROOMING FAVORITES!
Note: BLUE makes WHITE
One of our favorite brands of maltese hair products is PURE PAWS. I would call it the CHANEL Cosmetics of the dog hair product world as it is used by many show dog professionals.
I bought the GALLON size Pure Paws Ultra Reconstructing Shampoo some years ago and have given friends and family little bottles of it and STILL have enough shampoo for another year. I definitely get my ‘MONEY’s WORTH’ with Pure Paws.
Originally I thought that paying $15-ish for a bottle of dog shampoo was expensive. I went to the SUPER PET Chain stores and bought a cheaper $9.99 bottle of shampoo and found it to be mostly water and I would need 1/3 of the bottle to shampoo my dog. The FRESH BATH smell would hardly last an hour after use. With multiple dogs in the house that little ‘super pet store’ bargain bottle of shampoo wasn’t such a bargain after all as I’d go through a bottle in a month and my dogs NEVER felt really clean using the bargain products.
The bargain really was when I purchased my first bottles of Pure Paws shampoo. The PP shampoo and conditioner MUST BE DILUTED. ONE part product –> 8 parts WATER! That $15 dollar bottle of PP shampoo lasted FAR LONGER then the cheaper $9.99 super pet store brand. You are essentially getting a GALLON of Pure Paws product for a little more money then what you would pay for a tiny bottle of your local ‘drug store’ brand.
BONUS FEATURE besides the BARGAIN of using a product like PP?? == My dogs looked VISIBLY whiter and cleaner and they smelled FRESH and CLEAN for days!
ENTER PurePawsUSA site here and 10% Discount will automatically be applied:
NOTE OF INTEREST: Dog hair product company’s are NOT required by law to include their ingredients on their labels. Very few high end dog hair product manufacturers choose to be as transparent as Pure Paws. You will find their ingredients right on their labels. Chris Christensen does NOT list their ingredients on their product labels.
The Pure Paws Ulta Reconstructing Shampoo Ingredients:
Water, EDTA, Panthenol, Allentoin, Kathon CG, adjust ph with citric acid, ECO-1, Pearl, Sea Silk Extract, Spotted Orchid Extract, C-5, Hawaiian Citrus,
Azurre Blue, Sodium Chloride NOTE: The PP Ultra Reconstructing line has been reformulated and the shampoo is no longer BLUE. They have added spotted orchid extract fragrance.
PP Brightening Shampoo Ingredients: Water, EDTA, Kathon CG, adjust ph with citric acid, Eco-1, Optical Brightener, Royal Blue, Orange Blossom, C-5, Sodium Chloride
In the video we look at PP Ultra Brightening Shampoo and compare the VISUAL to the Chris Christensen White on White, which falls under the ‘WHITENING’ shampoo category. PP WHITE MAGIC Shampoo vs. CC White on White == as these are both technically ‘WHITENING Shampoos’.
NOTE: The above pictures products are whitening shampoos WITHOUT BLEACHING agents., but rather using OPTICAL BRIGHTENERs. Exactly the way one would PHOTOSHOP a yellowish and dull image == you would add BLUE to the picture and the yellow’s would OPTICALLY appear whiter, while the darker colors would appear RICHER! Really cool optical play on our eyes using COLOR!
On the COLOR WHEEL:
BLUE & VIOLET cancel out the color opposite on the color wheel, which is YELLOW
- INDIGO cancels YELLOW
- BLUE cancels out YELLOW ORANGE
- AQUA cancels out RED ORANGE
- GREEN cancels RED
Too bad there isn’t a green shampoo to test out against RED tear stains. In the COSMETIC world of ‘deleting’ blemish marks with CONCEALERS, we use green concealer to hide a red acne blemish. Those of us who want to delete our BLUE under eye bags must use ORANGE to cancel out the dark blue circles under out eyes!
I guess these BLUE shampoos are the CONCEALERS for our dogs to cancel out the ugly unwanted and dingy YELLOWS to produce Snow WHITE Maltese coats.
The PP White Magic is claimed to be a ‘semi permanent color’. I didn’t feel the need for such a strong whitening shampoo for my dogs, thus I have always only used the ‘Ulta Brightening’ Shampoo, when I have need to remove mild grass or urine stains.
Pure Paws Silk Basics Line:
Two beauties McCartney and Bimmer recently alerted me to a newer PP line == Silk Basics. McCartney and Bimmer are always impeccably groomed and have very healthy and glossy coats, so I decided to give this newer PP Silk Basics line a try.
I have to say that even after just one try, I really enjoyed the outcome that this Silk Basic line produced for the coats of my maltese. Again, this Silk Basics line must be diluted 1:8 (one part shampoo to 8-10 parts warm water), thus making it a very good value at $21 for 16 oz.
The Silk Basics Shampoo as shown here is CLEAR and has no color, with a very pleasant clean scent to it.
My EYES tell me that the coat may become WHITER after using the Ultra Reconstructing or the Ultra Brightening shampoo when compared to the Silk Basics. My EYES tell me that the coat seems SHINIER using the Silk Basics, however the less whitening effect it may have.
My NOSE tells me that the dog smells clean and fresh, with a very ‘YUMMY & LONG LASTING CLEAN’ smell.
I already LOVE the Pure Paws Silk Basics line and plan on using it as part of our regular shampoo regime. Thank you McCartney and Bimmer!
NOTE: If your Maltese has SENSITIVE, DRY or ITCHY skin == I would recommend the PURE PAWS Oatmeal and Aloe Vera Shampoo. Oatmeal has been identified as having anti-itch properties and there is no doubt that Aloe Vera has therapeutic properties on skin. I WOULD NOT recommend the ULTRA line for any dogs with sensitive, dry or itchy skin!
Weekly or Bi-Monthly:
- STEP 1: FACE: Wet face and apply SPA Lavish Facial scrub to face, taking care not to get into the eyes == leave this product on face and beard == Do not rinse yet
- STEP 2: For the BODY: Shampoo with PP Ultra Reconstrucing Shampoo (azure color shampoo) – this will clarify and whiten the coat ==== RINSE
- STEP 3: Shampoo with PP Silk Basics Shampoo (clear zero color) – this will enhance, nourish, moisturize and supplement the nutrients already added from the Ultra Reconstructing step === do not RINSE YET
- STEP 4: Spray with the PP Rinseless Shampoo and continue to lather – this helps to eliminate and ‘residual doggy odors’ on the coat and skin === NOW RINSE
- STEP 5: Condition with PP Ultra Conditioner OR PP Silk Basics = restore, nourish, strengthen === RINSE
- LAST: Carefully rinse and condition face and beard, avoiding eye area
- TOWEL dry
- Force air dry using the CC Kool Pup
After Walks Feet Cleaning and/or Spot Cleaning:
- PP Rinseless Shampoo on Paws Only OR
- PP Brightening Shampoo on Paws and stains only
- Very diluted Spa Lavish Facial Scrub
- WARM sterile Water to wash face
- PP Classic Shine Conditioning Spray — every brush out (this has been recently reformulated and I have not tried the new reformulated product)
- CC Ice on Ice brush out conditioning spray and brush out spray
NEW PRODUCTS THAT ARE HIGH ON THE LIST (but currently being tested out against our GT products)
- PP Silk Basic Shampoo and Conditioner
- CC Spectrum 10
- CC Thick & Thicker
- CC White on White
- Pure Paws Ultra Reconstructing Shampoo 16oz = $18.50
- Pure Paws Ultra Reconstructing Conditioner 16oz = $18.5PP Silk Cream Conditioner $19.70
- PURE PAWS TRAVEL SAMPLE KIT == by the time you use it diluted, it’s a great value in a tiny trial sized kit!! = $23
- PP Brightening Shampoo 16oz = $16.50
- PP WHITE Magic Shampoo 16oz = $23.60 == semi permanent coloring
- PP Reconstructing Shine Spray 8oz = $15.25 == LOVE LOVE THIS
- PP Rinseless Shampoo SPRAY 8oz = $12 16oz Bottle = $14.25 ==
- PP SILK BASICS LINE Shampoo, Conditioner (BLACK BOTTLES)
There are many creative ways to use dog hair products available on the market. The PROFESSIONAL and SHOW DOG world pet products can offer great value and results without the high cost that we would presume to be associated with high end ‘couture’ brand products. All products mentioned were purchased by Maltese Obsession, so that we can bring you an honest unbiased review and opinion.
Thanks for visiting and HAPPY GROOMING!